Thursday, January 15, 2009

Gene



I just have to tell you about the death of my dear uncle. Gene was a man of few words but always a man with a smile for you. He and my Aunt Helon would come to my house when I was young to visit with my mother and grandmother. He would sit and wait patiently while they visited. When Helon was ready to go, she would walk in and say "Gene, let's go" and he would say his good byes and take her home.

He was up early every morning to deliver foods to some the grocery stores in our area. One summer my cousin and I went with him on his deliveries. Something that would never get to happen these days. We had so much fun. Riding in the delivery truck which was somewhat a version of the F*d-Ex trucks was sooooo exciting. Riding with the door open and the wind blowing in our face. It might not sound like a great adventure, but, to us it was.

Helon died a couple of years ago after being in the nursing home for over ten years. He too was in the nursing home for awhile before she died. After her death, he would look for her all the time. He missed her so much.

He passed away on Wednesday, January 14th. His birthday. He doesn't have to miss her anymore. They are together again.

11 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly I love this post. Brings back memories of my special people.

Tabor said...

The spirit of special people lives on in others, doesn't it. It is wonderful that you have honored him in this way.

Darlene said...

I had a dear Uncle that I loved and I think Uncles deserve a special place in our hearts. I know that you loved your Uncle. I thought of mine when I read your post. Thank you for reminding me.

Judy said...

He sounds like a special person with a great love for his wife and family. This is a very nice tribute to a favorite uncle. Thanks for sharing.

Kay Dennison said...

My dad was called Gene so I was immediately interested. What a lovely memory of him! I'm sure that he and your aunt are delighted with it.

Beverly said...

I was thinking so much of Helon and Gene that I failed to mention their daughter who faithfully cared for them both all these years. She is a special person and she deserves a mention.
Beverly

Wendy said...

What a nice tribute to such a kind-hearted man.

L. said...

Beverly,
I am sorry for the loss of your Uncle. What a beautiful tribute to this special man...
xoxo

JeanMac said...

Oh, gosh, how touching a post.I'm gald you have such nice memories.

Beverly said...

What a lovely post, Beverly. We experienced things in our childhood that our children and grandchildren will never know.

What a dear tribute to your uncle Gene.

MsGraysea said...

Beverly, how nice....the way you brought us into that little part of your world for a glimpse of a dear couple. I can just see you having such fun in that delivery truck. Wonderful memories.