Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lunch Date

Lily invited me to have Lunch with her today. She was so excited when I told her I would be able to go. It was her Thanksgiving Finger Food Feast. When I got there, the room was filled with excitement. Instead of all the children working quietly, they were all chatting and cutting out their turkey feathers. They were making turkey hats. I found myself smack down in the middle of it. Miss A asked me to help by cutting out strips for the head band, and stapling the feathers and turkey head to the headband. Well....have you ever had about a class full of 1st graders pounce on you? Each one was stepping in front of the others. I had no way of telling who was really next in line. All I heard was, me next!!! or I've been standing here a long time. I found that I am creatively challenged...

Soon it was time for lunch. We had fruit, chicken nuggets, meatballs, cookies, and oh was it all yummy. Lily ate more than I have ever seen. After came a rowdy game of Fingo, aka Bingo. Miss A had five prizes. On and on we played, and four kids won. Every one was trying to win the last prize when Lily yelled out F-I-N-G-O!!!!!! Only thing was so did four other kids. Miss A had a shocked look on her face, she said "uh-oh, what do we do???". The problem was solved when she let four kids get to go into the goody bag.

It was time for me to go, but Lily wanted me to go to recess with her. This if something I had not done for in fifty-one years...I did pretty good, I even jumped off the monkey bars. When we heard the three bells, all the kids ran back in the classroom and lined up. Miss A said, ok, kids, it is time for recess. What??? Great!!! They all laughed, and Miss A thought a minute and decided it was really time for art.

I have never felt so loved. Lily was very happy her Meme came for lunch with her. I will have to do it again, and Miss A said I could.....

4 comments:

kenju said...

That must have been fun! I cannot imagine being in a room with that many first graders; it would totally intimidating to me....LOL

Mim said...

Now that sounds like a day to celebrate! How fun.
Mim

Beverly said...

Your post brings back many memories. I loved doing all the activities for holidays with my first graders.

I hope that I'll be around to do some of those things with Ella when she gets to school.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I am so pleased for you that you had this day. Blessings to you.