Friday, July 17, 2009

Letter to Lily

Lily, I remember the day your mama and daddy told me you were going to be a little girl. I was so happy. I always wanted a little girl, but, I did not know I would have to wait so long. I had saved all my dolls for this little girl. They were packed away for a long time. I just knew your daddy was a little girl, but, no, he was the one who would have the little girl....

When you were born Memaw and I heard your first cry. We were just outside the room and it was so exciting to hear your cry as you made your way into the world.

You and I have been buddies ever since. You look like me and part of your personality is like mine...but, you are your own girl.
You have shown me a part of the world that I thought your daddy would have, the world of critters. You love all things living. They are to be treasured. You try to charm a bird. You stop for a worm, to get him out of the sun. We went into a forest to give a snake his freedom. These are the times I cherish. You have gotten to know my frogs in the back yard. You wondered at the feral kittens in my yard.

You and I have had our girlie moments. We love to watch Princess movies, we love to play Barbie, and Polly Pockets. We have tea parties. We put on makeup. You try on my jewelry, you even wear your great-grandmothers earrings. I so enjoy being with you, I think it brings back my childhood. You and I do the things i used to do with my cousin. We tell each other secrets. We talk in the dark before falling asleep. You read the clock, I tease you to go to sleep, you look at the clock again, anything to stay awake. You ask to be tickled, my arm goes to sleep, you talk some more....I have to sound serious....Lily, You Have to Go To Sleep. You are not scared, for I am your Meme. I love you so....

As you grow, I hope you always remember our times...standing in the sunroof....climbing the great trees by the lake....the letters in the post office box, the drawings of Cinderella, the pictures you drew, and the hugs you always have for me....for I am your Meme and I love you so....

1 comment:

Judy said...

Grandchildren are the most wonderful things in the world! I only have one grandson but I love him to death. I can tell how much you love yours, too.