Saturday, June 26, 2010

Old Iron and Uncle Tommy's Painting

As I read Beverly's post from Lacoochee about OLD irons she had seen at her cleaners/laundry, I was reminded of an old iron that was more than likely my grandmother's, Mama Gooch. I spotted it years ago in her basement and asked, rather, pleaded for her to let me keep it. She agreed and it has been by my washer and dryer for some time now.




This picture is also by my washer and dryer. It used to hang in our laundry room when I was growing up. I have found out that it is probably a little painting by my Uncle Tommy. These two oldies but goodies help make the chore of laundry day a little less painful....They make me start daydreaming of my wash days from my youth....I never thought I would look fondly back on those days, but, I do....




Thanks Beverly....

4 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh, I love the photo of your iron. It looks like you've really kept it polished and in good condition. And I love the paining. How fortunate you are to have that.

It sounds like you've been having a good time with your grandchildren. I'll see Ella again in August for birthday number 4.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Love it - I have two old flat irons. Not electric - for years I use them as door stops.

Beverly said...

Beverly, I was so excited when I saw the old irons and thought of my old iron....Have fun with Ella...can you believe how fast they grow?

Ernestine....now I could use it for a doorstop too....if the need arises....

Darlene said...

Women of your grandmother's day didn't need to lift weights; they pumped iron the hard way every Tuesday. (Monday was always wash day, iron on Tuesday). ;-)